The job functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Obtain reviews of proposals and manuscripts: Qualify and select appropriate reviewers; prepare review questionaires; contact reviewers, describing the scope of the review and establishing a reviewing schedule and payment amount; follow up on reviewers to ensure timely delivery of the review; keep Acquisitions Editor informed of progress on the reviews especially any delays; maintain master file of reviews.
- Review summary: Compile reviews, as directed, for Acquisitions Editor to send to authors.
- Assist in preparation of Publications Committee materials: work with Acquisitions Editor to prepare documentation for new projects and key revisions to be presented to Publications Committee for project approval; attend Pub Committee meetings and take notes on any changes to the specifications of the project; make necessary changes to approved projects prior to submitting approved contract proposals.
- Prepare contracts for circulation to authors: compile all of the terms and agreements for new projects and key revisions to ensure that contracts are prepared accurately; circulate contracts for approval with Acquistions Editor; distribute approved contracts to new authors and ensure that all materials route efficiently among multiple author teams and are received back in the office by key deadlines.
- Transmit manuscripts into production: Assess the completeness of the manuscript according to the author’s guide and work with author(s) to obtain any missing elements; assess suitability of art (figures, photographs, charts, etc.), consulting with Acquisitions Editor, Production staff, Art staff, and/or Manufacturing staff as needed; work with Permissions department to clear and follow up on outstanding permissions; work with Contracts department to assure contributor contracts are received; enter data into SMART and prepare other appropriate forms.
- Develop and refine new systems: Under the direction of the Acquisitions Editor, work collaboratively with other departments on new procedures and systems.
- Market research: Research courses, adoptions, curricula using Internet. Send out surveys and compile and analyze results as directed by Acquisitions Editor. Prepare competitive analyses and other research projects; develop reports with minimal supervision.
- Photo research: Work with authors to develop illustration programs. Find photographs and secure permissions.
- Assist with ancillary development: Coordinate all phases of basic ancillary creation under the guidance of the Content Development Editor, and/or Acquisitions Editor.
- Assist in training new Editorial Assistants.
- Arrange payments: Prepare check requests and/or book shipments to pay authors, editors, consulting editors, reviewers, and others as appropriate.
- Track all projects: Ensure that all authors/editors hear from Sage at least quarterly and that projects adhere to established schedule.
- Collaborate across departments: Work with colleagues in Production, Marketing, Sales, and other departments as needed.
- Organize and Track Data: Enter data into spreadsheets and databases accurately and on time.
The additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan special events.
- Make travel arrangements.
- Attend in-house meetings as directed by Acquisitions Editor.
- Travel to local conference, as directed by Acquisitions Editor and national conference travel after one year of employment.
- Attend local campus visits as directed by Acquisitions Editor.